Friday, April 06, 2007

Ok, Let's Get Controversial!

Ok, so I came across this article on CNN.com by Roland Martin proclaiming that Christians need to take back Christianity from Christians. It really wasn't what I thought it was going to be about, but I found it very provocative and true (at least in my humble opinion) on many levels.

I think he has an extremely valid point on how the extreme Right puts way too much focus on a few hot button topics and seem to spew hate where ever they go. Now, I am no theologian, but I believe the teachings of Jesus Christ were meant to be ones of peace and love, not hate. The way some of these extreme right wingers sling hate rhetoric around really disturbs me and I truly believe its people like that that keep others from embracing a religion like Christianity. Lets face it they are the ones we see on the news and political talk shows all the time. Martin is right that these groups only seem to focus on a couple of topics but where is the push to help the homeless and starving, the education system, the uninsured? Why alienate others when you could embrace them and be good role models?

This article really got me thinking about things I never realized before, and to be totally honest, I am by no means the guy that goes to church every Sunday. In the past few years I think I have avoided it because there was always something that rubbed me wrong about the church, something almost hypocritical about it. I think this message from Martin points to that. Anyway, I thought it was interesting and a good point, not that I agreed with 100% of what he said but I think the overall message was relevant.

Preach on brother Martin!

3 Comments:

At April 9, 2007 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Mindy said...

i agree with you there... sometimes politicians, as well as certain church-goers give christianity a bad rep. you should read "God and Other Famous Liberals" by F. Forrester Church. but, as far as the hypocrites, i guess you just have to have your radar on, for they are unavoidable! the challenge is to not let them take over the religion.

 
At April 9, 2007 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

couldn't agree more. it's frustrating that there is such a heavy focus on these negative issues, rather than looking for ways to make a positive impact. i thought compassion was supposed to come waaaaay before contempt.

 
At April 9, 2007 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Heath said...

Glad to see I am not the only one that feels this way. Though my suspicion is that there are a lot more people in the "moderate" realm than we think. The media just tends to focus on the extremes of the each view because it makes better news.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home