Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas Controversy

Lately, I have been receiving several emails imploring the sender to forward on a message that we need to get the word out and tell people that Christmas should not just be called a Holiday or we should not stop saying Merry Christmas to make way for Happy Holidays. By the messages I have received people are really upset by this. Did I miss something? Was there some law passed that said that Christmas no longer exists? Is there some mandate stating the Christmas is not longer PC? I am pretty sure I didn't miss anything. So what's the big deal? So a few retailers decided that they would avoid alienating their non-Christian shoppers by saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas? Who cares! Lets face it these retailers DO have to sell to people who are not Christians. Do Christians have a monopoly on the Holiday Season? Last time I checked Chanuka was going on right now too and Rahmadan was a few weeks ago. So it makes sense that retailers take a neutral stance on this topic. Jewish and Islamic customers shop too. I realize that this might not be as prevelant in our more rural areas where Christianity does dominate, but I live and work in a city where there are lots of diverse religions and cultures and they all work hard and spend that hard earned money during this time of year too, which drives are lovely economy here in the good ol' USA.

Now I have yet to meet a Jewish or Islamic or Hindu (all religious backgrounds I work with) who have a problem with the fact that I say Merry Christmas or celebrate Christmas or have a Christmas tree. Nope, most people don't care on a personal level. I think people are just getting bent out of shape because a couple of major national retailers decided to take a more neutral stance. They are just acknowloging that they have customers who are not Christian and that they don't just cater to those of a Christian faith.

If there is a problem at all its that we Christians forget what this celebration is about, the birth of Christ. So maybe we should worry more about that and not so much about what the local Nordstrom's puts in their window this time of year. I mean isn't this time of year supposed to be about good will towards men (and women) and loving thy neighbor, regardless of their background? I seriously doubt that the good lord's intention was for us to draw lines in the sand and take sides against each other. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

3 Comments:

At December 16, 2005 at 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well stated Heath! See you in a week and Happy Holidays to you!
Love g/ma

 
At December 20, 2005 at 3:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a Merry Christmas to you!!!!
Love, Mom

 
At December 23, 2005 at 8:53 AM , Blogger SGT Port said...

Well put Heath.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home