Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Those Links on the Right Side Over There

Ok, so you know its bad when yo actually start to feel guilty about not posting something on you blog. I have been beating myself up for days saying I need to add something on here, but just haven't had the time. So here I am trying to add a little something new. It won't be much this time around but it will be something until I have a little more time.

So if you have been thoroughly checking out my blog site you have probably noticed my links over on the side. When I decided to add some to this page, my original thought was to put something up that would help raise awareness on issue I think are important. For example, while I was raising money for the March of Dimes earlier this year, I included a link to their website. Well I thought it might be a good idea to point out and describe what is over there today. Ok, so the first one is just a link to my "Myspace" page, which if you don't have an account and haven't been added as one of my friends you won't be able to look at it. So join-up and maybe I will add you!

The next couple of links are for organizations committed to preserving the Great Lakes. Those that know me know I am an avid fan of the outdoors and find myself constantly in awe of the beauty and wonder that natural exists in this world. I find it tragic when I see our natural wonders and resources blatantly abused. Now, I am not unrealistic. I understand that for mankind to exist, we need to utilize the resources at our disposal, but we need to do it in a way that is sustainable and imposes the lowest impact possible so future generations can enjoy these resources. During my time in the Chicagoland area I have a brand new appreciation and love for the Great Lakes. I have always loved being near water and when I started living near Lake Michigan, I found myself wandering down by the lake as much as possible. I find it relaxing to just sit near the shore and stare out at the water. I also love boating and swimming. It never ceases to amaze me that these gargantuan bodies of fresh water exist. So, when ever I see people throwing trash out while at the beach or companies dumping waste into the Lakes it makes me sad and a little bit worried. Sure, the Lakes may be big enough to handle it but for how long? For example, when BP was working on getting a permit to be able to dump more waste into Lake Michigan, I was outraged like many others. Then they stated that they were already dumping way below what the law permits and my first thought was "oh, well that's not so bad" but then I thought, how does this make it OK? Why can't BP, who constantly advertises how environmentally conscience they are, find a cleaner way to produce their product or at the very least find a cleaner way to dispose of it rather than use the Lake like its a giant toilet. After seeing this kind of stuff and developing a deeper fondness for the lakes I decided to start looking into organizations that support efforts to protect these great resources. I am hoping to learn more about them going forward and possibly get more involved with some of their efforts going forward.

2 Comments:

At September 12, 2007 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Mindy said...

agreed, it seems like with many environmental issues, nothing drastic is ever done to protect our resources until it's in an emergency state. never mind the addage, "a stitch in time saves nine"...

something else related to think about (especially related to lake mich.): the grand river situation. i think its plumbing is connected to this giant toilet of which you speak. what a beautiful body of water that is almost always unsafe for swimming and fishing! companies choose to pay fines over change their ways, since the former is actually less costly in the immediate sense! hell-o! raise the fines ya'll!!!

 
At September 12, 2007 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

also agree with the great lakes issue. why is it okay AT ALL to dump in the lakes?

also no need to feel guilty about not posting. just post little day to day goings on or observations here and there if you have just a few min. :) they don't all have to be monumental posts! ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home