Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The McDonalds Rivalry Commercial Curse Continues!

Ok, so I have only told a few people about this, but I have a theory that involves a local series of commercials run by McDonald's. The premise of the commercial pits a White Sox and Cubs player against each other playing practical jokes on one another. They have been running these commercials during the summer for about 3 years now. Well, I started noticing after last year that it seems like every Cubs player that appears in these commercials during the summer always seems to be off the team by the end of the season. And this trend continued on Wednesday with the trading of Cubs catcher and fan favorite, Michael Barrett. Another failed project by Jim Hendry (but that's another story). At first I thought this was just a weird coincidence but after a third player in a row I smell a curse! The last few years have broken down as follows:



  • 2005 - Cubs Center Fielder Corey Patterson appears on a commercial with White Sox Maglio Ordonez. Outcome = Patterson was let go at the end of the season



  • 2006 - Cubs Center Fielder Juan Pierre appears in a commercial with White Sox Bobby Jenks. Outcome = Pierre was not resigned at the end of the season



  • 2007 - Cubs Catcher Michael Barrett appears in a commercial with White Sox Jermaine Dye. Outcome = Barrett was traded to the San Diego Padres for a back-up catcher, a minor league prospect and some cash




Now tell me there isn't something going on here. Oh and did I mention that Cubs Ace Pitcher Carlos Zambrano also appeared in one of these commercials this year with White Sox Catcher A.J. Peirzynski? Yes, he is still with the team, but he is in the final year of his contact and negotiations broke down with him about a month ago when the Tribune Company announced that they will be selling the team at the end of the year. So, barring a miracle say good bye to big Z who will look to cash in on a ridiculously high contract with a new team for next year

Weirdness always seems to follow the Cubs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home