History Made
I have been holding off on posting since it was announced that Sen. Barack Obama was elected the 44th President last night. Mainly because I was afraid I couldn't do the whole event justice. So for now, I plan on just writing a few words and then posting later when I can collect my thoughts better. What really struck me personally last night as I was listening to his acceptance speech was the historic significance this election had on not just the United States but the entire world. For what ever reason this never really occurred to me during the race. I was more focused on researching the candidates and trying to determine who I thought could do a better job. But last night listening to his inspiring oratory and watching the faces in a very diverse crowd I was moved and invigorated. It was almost as if a massive breath of fresh air entered the room and a weight was lifted off the country, for a short time. His call for Americans to come together and help make this country great and be a respected leader in the world again was such a refreshing change from the "you are either with us or against" refrain we had grown accustomed to over the past 8 years that I couldn't help but be inspired.It remains to be seen how good a President Barack can be, but I do believe he was the right candidate to bring a severely divided nation together. I hope those who may not have supported his bid for the White House will at least give him a chance to prove whether he is up to the job or not, because this country has seen enough negativity over the last several years and its time we get past it and focus on each of us doing our part to make this a country an even better place.
Finally, I would like to say that Sen. John McCain did an admirable job. His concession speech was nothing short of classy and inspiring in its own right. His call to work with President Elect Obama to make America stronger was sincere and well delivered. I have a lot of respect for him. He could have easily followed a "sore loser" mentality and further divided the country but he did what was best for the country he loves and that my friends is what makes him a great leader as well.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home