Friday, April 15, 2005

The Period of Mourning is Over

Actually, its been over for a while. I tried posting a message a few days ago but the site kept losing it so I gave up. This is my second attempt. And grandma, that was me on IM the other night.

Well, as you all know by now, the Illini made it to the Championship game against the Tarheels of North Carolina, but were unable to overcome a poor shooting night to win their first national championship. Carolina's big man Sean May was just too much for them down low and the fact that Jame Augastine was having a bad night did not help. I will admit it was dissappointing to see Illinios play the way they did in this game because if they had showed up with their "A" game they would have easily beaten a Carolina team that was playing one of its better games. But, alas, it was not meant to be and I walked out of my buddy Mark's apartment that night after the game depressed. But the next day I happened to catch a news special on TV broadcasting the welcome home reception that the Illini recieved from there fans in Champaign. Thousands of fans showed up at Memorial Stadium to thank the Illini for an unforgettable season. The out pouring of thanks from fans who could have easily been still upset over the loss made me extremely proud to be associated as an Illini fan. This event turned me around and made me realize what a great seaon it was and what it meant to cheer for the Illini.

In an era where college players are more concerned with personal statistics and becoming a higher draft pick for the NBA, the Illini taught the nation that a team can still be unselfish and play together and be successful. The following quote is from an article on ESPN.com and I think it makes a good point:

"Yes, North Carolina got the hardware Monday night and deserved it. But Illinois was the main draw this season.
The Illini were great for the game, and not just because they were a fresh school in the national title mix. They drew fans to them, but not just because they began the season with a 29-game winning streak, held the No. 1 ranking since early December and tied an NCAA record with 37 wins.
If you love hoops, then you had to love their crafty and creative unselfishness, their iron will, the regular-guy sincerity of coach Bruce Weber and the charisma of their leading men, Williams, Dee Brown and Luther Head."

Its true, the Illini were great to watch and I can only hope they are still great to watch for years to come. They were so much fun that people I know that aren't usually into sports found themselves sitting down to catch the Illini play. These guys were representatives of Illinios and how basketball should be played and I would take that any day than to be a fan of a school with a bunch of flashy individuals that are more worried about advertisement deals and who scored the most points each game.

HAIL TO THE ORANGE!!!! I-L-L!!!!

Now bring on the Ron Zook era of Illini Football! :)

Oh and if you would like to read another story on the Illini then check out this link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/3519224

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home