Thursday, November 08, 2007

More Debate on the Chief


I came across an article written by a Sports Illustrated columnist regarding Chief Illiniwek at the University of Illinois. In the article he references a recent use of the Chief symbol at the University's Homecoming this year. The NCAA required that all schools using a Native American symbol or mascot for their school were required to retire them or run the risk of being banned from hosting any post season tournaments at their schools or be allowed to participate in them. Now I am not writing to debate whether the NCAA even had any legal jurisdiction to force this policy on independent universities, I am writing because the author of the article shares his view on how the Chief should not be allowed to resurface for any reason. After the Chief being retired the Chancellor of UofI stated that the ban did not apply to homecoming festivities because it infringed on the rights of the students free speech. So, many floats and homecoming items were adorned with Chief emblems and cheered by Chief supporters.

Zirin (article author) goes on to compare the university and supports of the Chief to naive racists who don't understand what they are supporting. Now, I can't speak for other universities and how they treat their use of Native American emblems, but U0fI has always treated the Chief symbol with the utmost respect and honor. This is why you will only see the Chief during meticulously choreographed halftime performances. He does not run around during the game unfurling silly antics for the crowds amusement. In fact, during his halftime performance, fans would always gather in pride and cheer as the Chief performed. I personally found it exciting to be in the crowd as the fans cheered him on. No one was poking fun or laughing at him or what he stood for. For years, anti Chief supporters always tried to vilify supporters of the Chief as a group of racists who use the Chief as a way to put Native Americans down. It couldn't be more the opposite. Zirin goes on to state only white men have been allowed to portray the Chief through out the years, which couldn't be more inaccurate. This has never been a rule, it is true that primarily white men have been the Chief over the years, but mainly because they were the only ones who tried out. Lets also, not gloss over the fact that those who were selected to portray the Chief were also required to take courses on Native American history so they better understood what they were representing and to be sure they did it in a way that honored its history.

Now, with all of this being said, if it is overwhelmingly unpopular with Native Americans that the Chief exists then I would not stand in the way of retiring Chief Illiniwek. The problem has been that for years the only people who have protested the Chief where Ivory Tower academics and a primarily white activist group. After awhile the anti-Chief movement became an us against them mentality and lost sight of the feelings of true Native Americans. These images are not universally abhorred by Native Americans. Case in point being the Florida State University Seminole symbol. The Seminole tribe in Florida has officially approved FSU to use their likeness and even has a Seminole representative participate as the symbol. So, this is not always a black and white issue. There are also plenty of cases where Native Americans are not honored by organizations like the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians, which I am still not sure how they can get away with it, but that is another story all together.

Ultimately, I understand the NCAA could not have a partial rule that said some schools could have Native American symbols and some could not. It would be too difficult to enforce such a policy. The only exception that I know of today is the aforementioned FSU Seminole and that is because the University and tribe signed a legally binding agreement that the NCAA couldn't touch. So at the end of the day I understand the ruling. I will still miss the Chief and the rush of pride I would get when he appeared out of the marching band formation to lead the crowd in school spirit.

The part I will always resent is how the anti-Chief supporters treat me like I am a racist because I wear my U0fI clothing with Chief logos. I do not wear these things to poke fun at Native Americans. I wear them out of pride. I am part Native American, and probably not enough to count in some people's eyes, but I always found it a point of pride to be able to associate Chief Illiniwek with a small part of my background and never once felt that how he was portrayed was degrading to me or full blooded Native Americans. Our country spent years attempting to eradicate the Native American way of life, I see the Chief and similar displays as a sign that we now acknowledge what wonderful history Native Americans have and in some way we want to be part of that rather than destroy it. Any way that's just my two cents feel free to add yours. I am open to all arguments on both sides.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At November 9, 2007 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Mindy said...

I like your point of view - I think the general public is very nervous about offending groups and appearing racist - as Native Americans have been the target of racism and stereotypes for a long time. Actually *celebrating* our country's Native American history is new territory for many people, but I think it should be welcomed, instead of swept under the rug.

 
At November 9, 2007 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Ron said...

Heath,

I agree with your point of view. I'm pretty impressed that whoever represented the Chief had to go through classes on Native American history. That's impressive.

Can't U of I get a signed legal agreement like FSU did?

 
At November 9, 2007 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Heath said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. To your question Ron, from what I understand the Illini federation of tribes has been essentially extinct for some time now, so there are no representatives left that the University could work with to get the same agreement. One thing the NCAA did agree on though was that U of I could keep the name Fighting Illini where many schools had to change their mascot name as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home