Shamrock Shuffle...I Actually Did It!
Last year when I met Kelly, she started getting me into running. Anyone who really knows me probably just laughed, and rightfully so. It's not that I live an inactive lifestyle. Quite the contrary. I would much rather be outside, hiking, camping, fishing, walking around the neighborhood than sitting at home. Furthermore, I love to participate in all kinds of sports including basketball, football, bowling, soccer, etc. You name it and I have tried it or would be willing too. But, for some reason I never really got into running for the sake of running. I had a brief stint in track and field where I performed fairly well in the sprinting competitions, but never latched on to it like I did other sports.Well, the year before I met Kelly I decided to sign up for the Chase Corporate Challenge here in the city. Mainly, because my company offered to pay half the entry fee if we signed up and wore a shirt with their logo on it. So I figured why not. I could use the exercise and it might be fun. Well, I ran/walked the entire 3.5 miles and really didn't enjoy it much. I had a terrible finish time and my joints were in a lot of pain. I then went the rest of the year without running another race.
Then, just before I met Kelly, my college buddy Dan asked me if I wanted to run in the Muddy Buddy with him later that year. I had heard of the race before and it sounded like fun so I agreed more for fun than for competition. Then a few weeks later I met Kelly. I told her about this race I was in and she suggested that I sign up for a serious of 5k races with her to make sure I got in shape enough to run my race with Dan. Well the first one we ran together was the Corporate Challenge and I did a ton better when I ran it with her. After that I tried a series of races and really began to enjoy them. They were all 5k's (3 miles) and I never really thought I would do any longer than that, until this winter when Kelly convinced me to sign up for the Shamrock Shuffle with her. It is an 8k (5 miles) race. I was a little concerned about the distance but she set up a training program for me that I was able to stick with for the most part, except for the few weeks that I had the flu. Well come race day I was really nervous that I wouldn't be able to run the whole thing and that I would hold Kelly back.
The race started out tough, with my legs and joints tightening up within the first mile or so. I told Kelly to go on without me because I wasn't sure how the pain was going to be. So, for the next mile I ran alone, but started to notice some of the pain go away, by 2.5 miles I had caught back up with Kelly again and we ran the next mile and half together and then somehow got split up while running through the water station. I went the next 3/4 of a mile by myself wondering where she was. Apparently, I had got ahead of her and didn't realize it. She caught up to me with about 1/4 a mile to go and we crossed the finish line together. Finishing the full 5 miles in about 50 minutes. We averaged about 10 minutes miles and ran the last mile the fastest at around 9.5 minutes. This was a great time considering I fully expected to have to walk parts of the race, but thanks to Kelly's support I ran the whole thing.
Next up the Race to Wrigley. Its a slightly shorter (5k) race, but should be fun because you finish the race by running through the concourse at Wrigley Field. The proceeds got to Cubs charities.


1 Comments:
Good job guys! That's awesome! That's pretty crazy how you two went back and forth in the race, but equally cool that you finished together.
That should be cool to do the Wrigley race. I agree, that would be a cool finish.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home